Skip to Content Top

Frequently Asked Questions About Construction Injuries


Construction workers face dangerous job conditions on a daily basis. These dangers include the risk of falling from great heights, suffering injuries caused by objects falling from above, electrocution accidents, heavy machinery-related injuries, crushing accidents, vehicle-related accidents, repetitive use injuries, extreme heat and cold exposure and more.

If you suffer from unacceptably dangerous conditions at a worksite, or if you have been seriously hurt in a construction-related accident, you might benefit from knowing the answers to the following questions:

Can I demand safer working conditions?

Workers who feel that their safety is in danger should notify their supervisors immediately. They should do so both verbally and in writing and keep a copy of their written notice. If the supervisor does not take appropriate action to solve the safety issue, the worker should file a complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) via its website.

Can I receive more than workers’ compensation benefits after a workplace injury?

Most full-time construction workers can file a workers’ compensation claim to receive money to pay for their medical care and time spent away from work. If the employer was extremely negligent or if a third-party contributed to the worker’s injuries, however, then it may be possible to pursue additional damages by filing a personal injury claim in civil court.

Are all construction worker injuries covered under workers’ compensation?

Nearly all construction workers who get hurt on the job could benefit from workers’ compensation benefits. In fact, it doesn’t matter if the worker’s negligence or the employer’s negligence caused the injury; the employee can still receive workers’ compensation benefits. However, there are some limitations to workers’ compensation — particularly if a worker was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident, if the worker was intentionally negligent or engaged in unlawful behavior.

What should I do if I was injured on the job?

Your first course of action after a job-related injury should be to seek immediate medical attention. You should also notify your employer of the injury as soon as possible. Ask your employer how to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. If your employer does not help you, seek professional assistance immediately. There is a limited time period within which you must file your benefits application.